Small House Style

Icon

Small House Style is a web magazine dedicated to all things small house & home, prefab, sustainable, design, architecture and modern.

The “King” of Small Houses: tiny houses the Vermont way

Meet Peter King, Vermont’s “King” of tiny houses. Keep it simple the Peter King way: 2-3 days per week and $200 to $300 per month. Enjoy this Vermonter’s take on the small and tiny house movement.

** UPDATE **
PETER KING IS TEACHING A HANDS-ON
SMALL HOUSE WORKSHOP IN VERMONT THIS WEEKEND

10 x 10 Tiny House Building Workshop this Weekend!
Basic Carpentry Skills : For Absolute Beginners

As a team of 6, we will build a 10’ x 10’ house with a loft, and a 12/12 roof. 90% of the material will be pre-cut, allowing us to build from foundation to roof ridge cap in two 8 hour days! We will use native softwood that is locally milled.

Learn By Doing
Floor Framing
Wall Raising
Door – Window Installation
Exterior Sheathing
Interior Sheetrocking

A Tin Roof Will Top It Off

Become One With
• 4 Foot Level • Framing Square • Speed Square
• 25 Foot Tape • Hammer • Chalk Line
• Utility Knife • Chisel • Cats Paw • Bevel Square

December 12 7:00-9:00 PM
December 13-14th 8AM – 4 PM

Tools Provided

Call (802) 933-6103 for details.

Taught by Peter King, a pretty good carpenter and an excellent teacher.

Incoming search terms:

• algo-timewarner_if
  • vermont tiny houses
  • tiny house builders on the east coast
  • peter king tiny houses
  • Peter King builder
  • tiny house vermont
  • vermont small home designs
  • vermont tiny house workshop
  • vermont tiny house
  • vermont small house builders

23 Responses

1. peter, when is your next class? i just found out i missed the one last weekend. i don’t know jack about building!! i want to build a tiny house when i retire, but the last time i tried to cut a 2×4, it came out wicked crooked even with a miter box :) ) . btw, i’m a girl so i AM an absolute beginner – LOL! i live in the albany, ny area. also, how much is your class? hope to hear from you or one of your helpers soon…betsy

• SHS says:

Hi Betsy, We just found out that Peter is hosting a workshop in VT this weekend. We updated the post. Hope you can make it. Let us know how it goes.

2. Kim says:

I would like to know if any workshops have be scheduled for late spring or summer 2009. My husband and I live in Florida and would need to plan for the trip well in advance of it. We are incredibily interested in building our own tiny home. Thanks, Kim

3. SHS says:

Kim, We haven’t heard any further details. You might want to get in touch with Peter at the number in the post.

If anyone attended this workshop, please post. We’d love to hear about it.

4. jackie cullen says:

Hello Peter,
    Will you be running workshops any time soon? We are just getting interested in sustainable building here, and i love your tiny houses!
    Jackie,
    (in Australia)

• SHS says:

Hi Jackie,

Great to hear that the small house movement is alive and kicking in Australia. The best way to get a response from Peter as far as we know is to call him at the number above. Maybe you could organize a group to pay his way to Australia to teach a workshop. You might want to check in with Jay at the Tumbleweed Tiny House Company as well.

5. Person who wants to do this says:

be sure to let us know when peter’s doing a workshop again!

6. Hi Peter,

Just love your little house.

Would like to get plans for the 12×12 and 10×10

Please advise

Regards
    Andrew Renirie
    Cape Town
    South Africa

• SHS says:

Hi Andrew,

We are not sure if Peter is following this post. Try contacting him directly – his number is listed above.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

SHS

7. kevin says:

we think peter is our neighbor we just purchesed some land in franklin county and there are at least 2 small houses adjacent to our spot we would love to find out if this is true and would love to build a small house

8. Rob says:

Wow! Your views and perspective on small house living are awesome! I am interested in finding out more information about classes and fee’s. I think you have it right! Less is more! My son Is also interested in going to Vermont to learn more about building and living in one of these small houses. Thanks

• SHS says:

Hi Rob,

We are still not sure if Peter is following this post so you might try to reach him directly about classes and fees. His number is in the post. If you do reach him, please let him know about the post and that people are trying to reach him via Small House Style. Best of luck! Viva la casita!

9. [...] Thanks for visiting!If you are in the vicinity of Burlington, VT this weekend don’t miss Peter King who is exhibiting a full scale frame model of his 10 x 10 tiny house design at the Whole Picture [...]

10. Louise says:

Just wondering, now that I’ve connected with Tiny House East Coast and even in New England, is Peter King scheduling more workshops in 2009?
    I am interested in building one similar to Jay Shafer’s designs on a trailer.
    This is the answer to housing for me, my husband, my dog, and my cat!’ It means living with ‘This Old Planet And I have tried a lot of other ideas!
    Louise

11. Robyn says:

Hi,
    I am so intrigued with the tiny house movement. I live in Boulder CO and am researching something similar here, but do you have any resources related to building tiny houses in Colorado? My general google searches have not been productive but I’m still working on it.
    Any info you have would be appreciated!
    Best,
    Robyn

12. Ericka says:

Hi Peter!!! You rock!!

What is the possibility of traveling to Pemberton, B.C. to teach and build a tiny house?

Cost? Possible?

13. vincent pastore says:

Hi Peter…

can we hire you to teach a workshop here in santa cruz this summer… I am Tony Pastore’s brother, and have a small permaculture farm…

peace,

~V~

14. sandy says:

Hello! Would you consider doing a workshop in MO? I would love to be a student and have you build on to my cabin. I have the money for materials. Thanks!